Guess what everybody…new hobby! Shocker, right? My second cousin gave my mom and I a quick run down on quilting and I was immediately hooked. Now I’ve got a quilting book, a quilting magazine, and about a zillion ideas! Boy I can’t take things too slowly I guess. As we were looking over Mary Ann’s (my second cousin) things, she showed us this padded board with sandpaper on top. She explained that she made it to use for marking lines onto the fabric and that the sandpaper would keep it from stretching all over the place. After cutting out squares for several projects without anything to keep the fabric from moving around, I understood why she had this! It was heck! The fabric kept sliding every which way and my lines were all crooked and it was just a mess! So while my baby girl was napping I threw this thing together. It’s not too pretty but after using it to make 1/4″ markings on the backs of my quilting squares I was sure glad I had it! The sandpaper really helps hold the fabric in place and it just makes things a lot easier.
Let’s get on to the tutorial now. You will need:
- Light grade sandpaper
- 12″ x 9 1/2″ board (mine started out as 18″ x 9 1/2″, but I cut it down)
- Hack saw and/or saw
I wasn’t too exact on measurements (sorry!) but the way I did “measure” was to lay the sand paper on my board and eyeball about a 1/4″ of board on each side of the sandpaper. I made a mark and then took the board outside and sawed it? cut it? Wow I am so not a carpenter.
Anyway once I had the cut, I lay it on a piece of batting and, again, eyeballed the cut to leave enough batting to wrap up over the sides of the board.
I laid the batting on the fabric I was going to use and cut it about an inch bigger on each side of the batting. I sacrificed an old T-shirt that I hadn’t worn in who knows how long.
Next I took the sandpaper, board, hammer, nails, fabric and batting outside to finish it up. I didn’t want to wake up the baby while I was hammering away. I laid the sandpaper on the board and then wrapped the fabric and batting up over the sides of the board and folded the fabric up under the batting and hammered them all onto the board. I hammered one nail in each corner and then did a couple more to help hold it better. On a side note, this would have been much easier with one of those staple gun things (I think that’s what they’re called. If you couldn’t tell I’m not well-versed in handy man jargon) so if you have one I encourage you to use it.
Now I just had to test it out and, it turns out, it works great! It’s not too pretty but it’s functional and that’s all I needed. Now I can quilt a whole lot easier. Have a blessed day everyone!