This is a really simple DIY project I created for some cute cheap storage baskets to put under my daughters changing table. I really like those wood/wicker baskets they sell at Target, but I sure didn’t want the expense that went along with them. So, here’s what you’ll need:
- Dollar Tree basket
- 1.5 yds fabric (enough to make one basket cover)
1. Start by measuring the length and width of your basket. Mine was 11.5 x 7.5 inches. Now for the piece of fabric that covers the bottom make a seam allowance of 1/2″ to 3/4″. Cut out your piece of fabric.
2. Next, measure the height of your basket and double it (to allow for the fabric to overlap and cover all of your basket) My basket was 6″ tall. Now add the length and the width together. For example, mine was 19″ Now you will need to cut 2 pieces of fabric 14″ x 24.5″ (Technically it would be 12″ x 19″, but I added in for the seam allowance).
3. Start by pinning the hem of your (2) 24.5″ sides of fabric. I had a larger hem at 3/4″, but it’s whatever works for you. Sew your hems and then sew the (2) 14″ edges together right side down.
4. Then start pinning the bottom rectangle of fabric to the bottom of the pieces you just sewed together, with both pieces right side down. There will be some bunching, and that’s fine.
5. Sew together after you have finished pinning. Then put that in your basket and voila! You have an adorable and, most importantly, cheap storage basket!
I hope this all made sense. Comment with any questions.